Tuesday, October 1, 2013

2 Peter 2:1 “But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive opinions.”

Voices and messages, doctrines and beliefs are touted over air waves, on television and on the internet.  There are books and sermons that abound and the messages are mostly similar but not quite the same.  When I read something that sounds similar to what I have heard before it causes me to pause and think.  When I hear something radically different than what I have learned before, it causes me to pause and think.  We do not want to be led astray by a false prophet.  We do not want to be brought to destruction through their false teachings.  How do we know what it true?  Often the message of the false prophets does not hit us in the face as blasphemy; they are much too sly for that.  Their message eases us in, gently and quietly, one slippery step at a time.  This fear of deception is one reason I stay disciplined in my time with the Lord.  He clearly shows us his truth when we seek it with our whole hearts.  Seek his truth with me today.

Lord,
We no longer have traveling salesmen knocking on our doors to sell us anything but we now have “salesmen” trying to sell us spiritual junk.  Protect us and guide us in your truth so that we are not drawn into destruction.  All glory and honor are yours Holy God.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment