Sunday, October 6, 2013

James 2:8 “You do well if you really fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’”
Every now and then I am led to scripture with this message in it.  This command comes from Leviticus originally and is then quoted in numerous places throughout the New Testament.  When I read it today I felt the need to seek out how I love my neighbor and how I could love my neighbor more.  I have written about this some in the past but I still have canned food and granola bars in my car to give to the needy standing on the street corners.  I give groceries to the food bank in my church and I pray for my neighbors.  What else am I being called to do in love for my neighbor?  I send out my daily devotions via email and blog for love of my neighbor.  That’s pretty good, right?  As I work on the lifelong task of loving God with all that I am, I am called into further service to love my neighbor.  So this morning I challenge us both to seek out ways to love our neighbors.  Let us ask ourselves the question: how will I love my neighbor today?  Let us push ourselves to answer the question with acts of love.
Lord,
Just as your love never ends give us the strength and endurance to continue living in your command to love our neighbors.  Do not allow us to stop after one or two acts of love but move us into continuous acts of love so that your love will permeate the world around us.  Thank you for teaching us how to love through Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment