Thursday, October 10, 2013

Jeremiah 23:29 “Is not my word like fire, says the Lord, and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?”

I was reading this passage in Jeremiah on false prophets and these words nearly jumped off of the page at me.  Is God’s word not like a fire?  When I hear His truth it is like fire... it is a flame that purifies and cleanses my soul; it is warmth and a light in the cold and dark of this world.  Yes, His word is like fire.  Is His word not like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?  It is indeed like a hammer that breaks rock into pieces...  I can picture two instances in the last week where something someone has said to me has hit me like a brick on the head; like a hammer on my rock hard heart.  The words of those people echoed in my mind drawing me back into the word of the Lord.  He gives me instruction, guidance, correction, grace, love... I reject it.  Like a hammer, his word keeps coming back and breaking down the rock walls I have built up.  His word is like a hammer.  The fire and hammer of his word does not destroy anything but the lies and deceit that are barriers to our righteousness.  I praise and thank Him today for his word; for his fire and his hammer that bring us into wholeness.

Lord,
Your word is so beautiful to my soul.  Thank you for the blessing of time with you and your unending desire to draw us into your presence.  Open our hearts and break down the walls of lies and bring your fire in to warm and purify us for you.  I praise you this day for all you do for us.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment