Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Ecclesiastes 5:2 “Never be rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be quick to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven, and you upon earth; therefore let your words be few.”

It is hard to listen when we are talking.  I heard these very words come from my mouth to one of my children within the last few days.  Oh, we are capable of hearing while talking but hearing is not listening.  We have something we want to say and it seems to take precedence over whatever we may need to hear.  When I read this passage I had to stop and really think about how I could benefit from its words.  I mean, we can take anything and everything to God; He is here among us not in some distant land, right?  I know there are times I come to Him and in my prayer I never stop “talking”, I never stop to listen.  He is in heaven; He is above all and all wise and yet I ask and ask for things I know nothing about with my tiny limited view.  As I continue to study the word of the Lord I realize I know so little and so, as a student and disciple it would be best for me to do more listening and a lot less talking.  I know I can come to the Lord with anything at any time.  I do believe it should not be frivolous. 

Lord,
I come to listen and learn.  Silence the requests and concerns, quiet the chatter and chaos and open my ears and hands to receive what you would share today.  Guide us all in your divine way and your path of righteousness.  I ask these things in Jesus name and now I wait and listen... Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment