Sunday, October 20, 2013

Matthew 6:7-8 “When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they  think that they will be heard because of their many words.  Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.”

There are many times that these verses come to mind and depending on the day they may encourage me or they may correct me.  I find myself searching for words to tell the Lord what I am trying to say or to give him enough praise and glory and honor.  There are other times I cannot even bring myself to use words and then I know I do not need them; that is a comfort to me.  I have asked myself why I even need prayer.  Really, if He already knows my needs what purpose does it serve?  Before the question was complete in my heart I knew the answer.  Prayer is not to benefit God.  He does not need our prayers, we need our prayers.  I know I need to pray for others each day because it helps me grow a servant’s heart.  I need the discipline of praying to the Lord so that I continue to remember He is the one who provides all our needs.  Today I encourage you to pray with me.  Pray with words, pray with songs, pray with dance or pray with silence.  Just pray.

Lord,
Thank you for allowing and desiring our prayers.  Guide our hearts in prayer to you.  Open our eyes to see the blessings you pour out on us through prayer.  I ask this through Jesus who taught us to pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment