Saturday, October 26, 2013

Lamentations 3:40-41 “Let us test and examine our ways, and return to the Lord.  Let us lift up our hearts as well as our hands to God in heaven.”

It was in the news the other day that the Air Force cadets do not have to include “so help me God” in their oath anymore.  Other branches of the military had removed that phrase some time ago and now it looks like the Air Force is following suit.  I wonder how long it is before the pledge of allegiance is attacked.  One person I was talking to said the people who are doing this are not true Americans, but I wonder what a true American is anymore.  When others look at our nation from the outside in, what do they see?  Is there evidence of a united nation, under God, indivisible?  I cannot answer how our nation looks from the outside but I know how I see it from where I sit.  I am drawn back to the Lord and the knowledge that we have something we can do about this current state of affairs.  We can test and examine our own ways and return to the Lord.  As we lift our hearts and hands to God, let us seek His truth and light.  As we renew our hearts with God, let us pray for our nation and its leaders to seek His truth and light as well.

Lord,
It is hard for me to hope for this nation, yet scripture tells me to pray for my people and my nation.  Your word tells me to pray for leaders of nations and all in authority.  I pray for those people and our nations this morning.  Draw us all back into you.  Lord, in your mercy, hear this prayer.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment