Tuesday, October 22, 2013

2 Kings 5:10 “Elisha sent a messenger to him, saying, ‘Go, wash in the Jordan seven times, and your flesh shall be restored and you shall be clean.’”

The story of a mighty warrior who suffers from leprosy may or may not be one you know.  Through amazing channels he is given the chance for a complete healing but when he receives this simple instruction he is annoyed and angry.  He is used to pomp and circumstance, he is used to having people show him honor and respect because of his status.  When Elisha doesn't even bother to come out and greet him, Naaman is incensed.  Through the encouragement of his servants he follows through with the instructions from the prophet and he is healed.  As I read this story I wondered how often we miss instruction or blessings from God because we are bothered by or even ignore the messenger.  On occasion (a rarity I am sure) I have heard and listened to a voice or message and been blessed by it but I have no doubt that like Naaman, people have had to chase after me and encourage me to hear and follow the simple words of God.  I need to lay down my pride and expectations; I need to come to each day in humility and thankfulness for it is in this way I am able to hear more clearly.

Lord,
Thank you for the story of Naaman to teach us again that you speak in many different ways.  I ask you to remove the barriers I have that keep me from receiving your word in the fullness that you provide it.  Through Jesus, I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment