Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Luke 2:37 “...She never left the temple but worshiped there with fasting and prayer night and day.”

There are times I would love to step away from my daily life and simply sit and pray, kneel and worship, soak in the presence of the Lord as I breathe air into my lungs.  When I read this passage in Luke my first thought was “why am I in this passage?”  This is not a time of year we ponder the birth and upbringing of Jesus but then I read this little blurb about Anna.  After the death of her husband she devoted the remainder of her life to prayer and fasting in the temple of the Lord.  Before the words even completed my thought of how this is impossible for me I was corrected.  Jesus sent his Spirit to reside in us and so...we are the temple.  The Lord is with each of us every day and every moment.  Regardless of what we do and our calendar for the day we can spend our days worshiping in prayer and fasting.  I am sure Anna had daily tasks and things that needed to be done in the temple just as we do today.  As we move into this day let us remember we are the temple of the Lord and we can join Anna in prayer and worship wherever we are.

Lord,
Thank you for this little reminder today.  Help me live my day and each moment honoring you.  Guide me to treat my body and spirit as a temple to you and honor it as a blessing to you.  As I wash dishes, teach school, cook dinner, let these tasks be done as a gift to you.  I ask these things through Jesus my Lord and Savior.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment