Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Matthew 4:29-30 “He said, ‘Come.’  So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came toward Jesus.  But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, ‘Lord save me!’”

Stepping out in faith feels so risky.  Can you imagine being Peter in this story?  The disciples were already afraid, thinking Jesus was a ghost on the water.  When Peter challenged the ghost to prove he was Jesus this is what took place.  Jesus called to him and Peter, in faith, stepped out of the boat.  As long as his fear did not overtake him he was doing great.  The minute he lost focus on Jesus and his trust in him, he started sinking.  Of course Jesus was right there to rescue him the moment he needed it.  How true is this story in our lives?  First, we find the courage to listen and step out in faith only to find ourselves questioning what we are doing and allowing fear to overcome our faith.  We have a faithful God who never leaves our side and when we falter, when we begin to sink, we simply call out and he is there to rescue us too.  In verse 31 Jesus asks Peter ‘why did you doubt?’  Ah, the human nature in us strikes again.  Let Jesus wipe the doubt away, strengthen our faith and give us the courage to step out with him again.

Lord,
You speak and I question.  You guide and I do not follow.  Forgive my trepidation and disobedience.  Give my heart the courage needed to trust in you always.  You will not leave me or let me down, let this knowledge seep into every part of my being so that I step out in faith without hesitation.  Keep my eyes focused on you in all things so I do not sink, but walk by your side.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment