Sunday, October 14, 2012


1 Timothy 1:14-15 “and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.  The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners – of whom I am the foremost.”

Yesterday I was telling my sister that I was jealous of the apostle Paul.  The fact that he had three solid years to step away from the world and spend all day every day steeped in the word and study of our Lord.  Today when I read this passage in his letter to Timothy I changed my mind.  Even after all his time seeking  and receiving the God of love and light, he still sees himself as the foremost sinner.  The burden of knowing we have sinned and caused pain and destruction in our own world can be heavy.  I get weighed down and overloaded carrying the heavy load of the souls I have wounded, including my own.  Verse 14 bears repeating though. “The grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.”  I am filled with a peace that cannot be described when I sit bathed in the love and grace of our Lord.  Only He can bring the healing we all need and redeem our sin and brokenness to bring us back to wholeness.  Take time today to sit in the healing presence of God.  Let us turn our eyes to the Lord.

Lord,
We suffer and we cause suffering.  We do not understand yet we do not seek to understand.  In the midst of us sinners, you walk and pour out your grace and love to all.  Help us turn to you and receive this healing, overflowing grace and mercy.  There is no one; nothing that can give life as you do.  Give us courage to embrace the love and life you offer.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment