Tuesday, October 30, 2012


1 John 3:17 “How does God’s love abide in anyone who has the world’s goods and sees a brother or sister in need and yet refuses help?

My first words to God this morning were a prayer of thanks for the heat and warmth in my home.  I had barely uttered the thought when I pictured the many people living under bridges and in cardboard boxes.  Others are wrapped in tattered layers of old coats or grungy hats and scarves.  We occasionally donate our clothes and coats and nick knacks to some charity that calls.   We give money to church to help the poor.  We buy food for our church food bank and bring food donations to bible study.  All these things are for a brother or sister in need.  What about closer to home?  Do I see the needs of my spouse and children?  As I think more about this I realize I could give more to the brothers and sisters that live with me as well.  They deserve some sacrificial giving on my part.  Could I rearrange my focus a bit and not only cross the things off of my list that make me feel accomplished but also give in love?  I am given a nice home and warm clothes.  I have food in my pantry, my refrigerator and my freezer.  I have no needs that cannot be met with relative ease.  I need to turn my gaze around from looking at my needs and begin giving to meet the needs of those around me.  I need to meet the needs of my family as well as the brothers and sister who do not reside in my home.  In this, I will abide in God’s love.

Lord,
Open my eyes to see my selfishness.  I cling to my needs like a warm blanket and yet, truly my needs are met.  Help me reach out in love; help me give more so all can abide in your love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment