Thursday, October 4, 2012


Isaiah 58:6-7 "Is not this the fast I choose: to loose the bonds of injustice, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?  Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover them, and not to hide yourself from your own kin?"

Years ago my oldest daughter rode the city bus to and from school.  One day I received a call from her while I was at work.  She brought a homeless woman and her two children home with her so she could feed them and give them some of her old games and toys to take with them.  Of course, I raced home to make sure my 14 year old was safe and as kindly as possible usher these strangers from our home.  As I read this passage I was horrified at my reaction in the past.  I know keeping my daughters safety in the front of my mind was not a bad thing but I suspect I did not make that Mom feel loved or welcomed very well.  I will do my best to make a better impact now that I am more aware. I will do my best with the help of God to share with my kin and my neighbor; with all who are in need.  We are all being called to make this world a better, more loving and giving place to live.

Lord,

May my home and my heart always have space for those who need help and love.  You have blessed me and I am called to bless others with that abundance.  Help me follow your will in this and in all ways so that I am an instrument used to bring your love and grace to others.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment