Monday, October 15, 2012


Colossians 3:17 “And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

Everyone I know is so very busy, we do so much that it seems we never stop “doing”.  I wake up some mornings knowing I worked all night in my dreams.  At first glance this verse seems to say that all those busy things we do need to be in the name of the Lord.  It does say that but there is something else to consider.  We do need time to rest and to pray.  We need to sit in the stillness and stop the chaos in our minds, the chatter in our heads and simply listen.  This takes some practice; at least it does for me.  So many mornings my first prayer is that the chaos and chatter would be gone so that I can be still and listen.  The next thing I know I am thinking about my tasks for the day, my friends and neighbors who need prayer, my home schooling work for the day.  How can I truly gain perspective and live all my moments in the name of the Lord if I can’t even hear him?  Even the deed of listening, the challenge of stillness in our hearts is a deed to be done with thanks to God.  The rest we receive, the battles we fight and the busy days;  give it all to the Lord.  All we do and say, every step we take or don’t take can be in glory to the Lord.

Lord,
Our society does not embrace rest.  The Sabbath is long gone and we run non-stop from dawn to late at night.  Whether we are living in busy days like this or find a quiet time to spend with you in the midst of it all, let the things we do and say be glorifying you.  Thank you for sending Jesus as a teacher and Savior.  Help our words and deed s reflect his love to all those who we work with and for.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment