Thursday, October 11, 2012


2 Corinthians 2:14-15 “But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads in every place the fragrance that comes from knowing him.  For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing”

What do you think the aroma of Christ smells like?  As I read these verses I thought about some of my favorite aromas.  I love the smell of brownies or bread baking in the oven and a savory meat and tomato sauce simmering on the stove.  As I thought about flowers I could not think of any I love the aroma of.  My six year old woke up and brought a tiny perfume bottle from her Grandma for me to smell and asked me what my favorite flower smell is.  Ironic?  I love the smell of vanilla (kind of cheating, I know).  I like lilacs, lavender and roses in moderation, not too potent, please.  I love the smell of evergreen trees warmed by the sun.  There are so many aromas to consider... but what does Love smell like?  An aroma can fill a room and bring good feelings with it.  Maybe this is what Paul is talking about.  We need to allow the love of Christ to fill the space around us; to permeate the air we breathe.  Then the people we are around cannot help but to breathe in the sweet aroma of Christ.

Lord,
Your blessings never end and I thank you for that.  Thank you for the joy of aroma and the gift of smell. I pray that your love will flow from me, like an enticing aroma, filling the space surrounding me so that all will be filled with the love of Christ.  Let your love change the world, one breath at a time.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment