Monday, October 29, 2012


Acts 2:42 “They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.”

Why do I go to church?  Is it the music, or the preaching?  Is it for my friends and catching up with them?  The answer is yes to all of these and more.  Depending on the week I may have different needs that I come to church with.  Sometimes I simply need to hear the word read out loud by someone other than me.  I need to hear the pondering of a learned teacher to stir up the word and help me hear a message that speaks to my heart and soul.  I need to laugh with my friends and sing praises to my Lord.  I need to sit in silence and just feel the Spirit in the sanctuary.  I need to remember the breaking of the bread on the Passover so many years ago and the sacrifice that represents to me each day.  I need to gaze upon that empty cross that hangs in front of the sanctuary to remember that Jesus did die but the cross is empty because he is resurrected.  His resurrection brings grace to the likes of me and you.  It is this grace that allows and compels me to keep coming back.  Do I need to go to a special building to have all this?  How do I know which one is the “right” one?  I know what I need to live in Love and so I go to church each week and I get up every morning to spend time alone with Love.  I share the grace I received and pray for myself, my family, my friends, the list goes on.  All these things help guide my feet in the journey of disciple.

Lord,
Thank you for your apostles and your teaching.  Thank you for bread and fellowship.  Thank you for songs of praise and prayer.  Help each day be a day of worship and learning, a day of fellowship and a day of honoring you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment