Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Romans 6:16 “Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?”

Kids learn the pledge of allegiance at an early age.  My son has learned it in preschool and even says the words correctly.  I taught my daughter the pledge a couple of years ago and we talked about what the words really mean.
How often do we really think about what we say?
Where does our allegiance really lay?
Paul did not use the word allegiance according to this translation but being an obedient slave to someone or something fits allegiance in my mind.  To what or to whom do we bow and serve?
Are we slaves to fear or judgment?  Are we slaves to money or belongings?  There are so many things that draw us away from righteousness and back into slavery to sin.  There is good news though.
God, through the grace of Christ, teaches us how to live for him; how to be slaves to righteousness.  It is through Christ that we are able to deny and turn away from sin and come forth in true allegiance to God. 
I search my heart for what ties I have ensnared to sin and ask God to break those chains so I can step toward him in service and obedience to him and him only. 

Lord,
You search me and know me before I ever come to sit in your Holy presence.  I ask you to unbind any chains I have linked to sin and death and free me once again to live for you and in your righteousness.  Guide and protect me from falling back into slavery so that I remain true to you always.  I pledge my deepest allegiance to you and only you God.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment