Sunday, February 16, 2014

Hebrews 13:15-16 “Through him, then, let us continually offer a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that confess his name.  Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.”

Do words fly out of your mouth as quickly as they do mine sometimes?
I try to think about what I would say before I say it and usually avoid saying some hurtful things because I held my tongue.  I wish I could say I always do this but that would be untrue.
How can I say hurtful mean things to someone and use that same mouth to praise my God?  The book of James talks about this specifically and I wonder as I read this passage what kind of fruit comes from my lips?
I speak in love, and I speak in indifference.  I speak with disdain and I speak with praise.  I speak brashly and I speak eloquently.  I will strive to speak praises to my God continually so I bring blessings instead of curses.
Speaking blessings is only part of the sacrifices we are called to give in this passage.  As we continue in winter for a while longer I ask myself and I ask you, could we do more good and share what we have better?  I know I can.  I step into this day seeking the guidance of God in how he would have me do more good, give and share more.  I praise God for all he has shown me and all he has given me thus far and I praise God for what He continues to do.

Lord,
Thank you for the morning sun that reminds us of a new day.  Help us put yesterday behind us and guide us into today.  Open our hearts and our eyes to see the blessings we have received and compel us to share what you have given us spiritually and physically so all people will experience the blessings of your love.  I ask these things through Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you forever and ever.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment