Thursday, February 6, 2014

Jonah 1:1-2 “Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai, saying, ‘Go at once to Nineveh, that great city, and cry out against it; for their wickedness has come up before me.’”

I know what my first reaction would be if I were in Jonah’s shoes (or sandals, as the case may be.)
My response would be disbelief.  I would shake it off knowing I must have heard wrong and then go back to whatever I was doing.  I also know enough to know the Lord does not quit.  Even if I try to shake off a direction from the Lord, He will pursue me again, just as he did Jonah.
couldn't help reading the first few verses of Jonah this morning because the Thursday morning bible study I attend is beginning a study on Jonah.  I love gaining different perspective on scripture from the other women that participate and I love to study the word more deeply than I would otherwise.
The first section of Jonah is subtitled Jonah Tries to Run Away from God.  I snicker and scoff at Jonah but then I realize I have tried to run away from God many times in my life as well and I have not even been given a task like Jonah was!  It would be the equivalent of God saying to me “Go immediately to Las Vegas, that great city...”  Can you imagine?  Me either.
I am led to wonder, what is God calling me to do?  Very rarely have I felt I am called to sit and relax, sip my tea or coffee and enjoy a vacation from the work of his kingdom.  Hmm. Where will he lead us next?

Lord,
Forgive my trepidation when I think of serving you in hard times.  You give us what we need to serve you every time in all ways so I come back to the throne in humility.  Give me the courage to do whatever you ask of me and the faith to know you go with me, I do not go alone.  I am yours, use me as you will.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment