Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Psalm 105:1-2 “O give thanks to the Lord, call on his name, make known his deeds among the peoples.  Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell of all his wonderful works.”

What has God done for you lately?
This psalm retells the story of Israel from slavery into freedom.  It looks back on all the things God has done for Israel; all the ways he has been faithful to them throughout their time.
I have not written down my story yet.  When I think about it I cannot imagine wanting anyone else to know my story.  I have definitely taken the crooked and broken path to find the grace of God in my life.  Not just once have I fallen off the path, numerous times during my life so far.  Why would I want to retell that story?
As I read this chapter I realized that revisiting our story doesn't need to be about our failures and weakness, it could be remembering the strength and grace of God in our story.   This is the focus of the retelling of Israel’s story in this passage. 
When I first read it I thought it glossed over things and neglected the down and dirty but as I meditated on it I realized the purpose of this retelling was to glorify God, not to draw attention to Israel.  What if I revisited my story with the intention of seeing God in it rather than seeing me in it?  How would that change my perspective?
God is in each of our stories whether we recognize it or not.  He is always with us, everywhere we are and beyond us.  He may not have turned water to blood or sent a plague of locusts in our stories but he has done great things and performed might wonders none the less.  I think I need to revisit my story with new perspective.  I encourage you to join me and revisit yours as well.  I am certain we will all see the faithfulness of God in the midst of it and we will have many reasons to give thanks and sing praises to our God!

Lord,
Give us the courage to step back into our stories just as the psalmist did in this passage.  Help us see you in the midst of whatever our stories hold because we know you were there, you still are and always will be.  Lord, protect us from the voices of regret and chastisement, surround us in your love so we are able to rejoice in your faithfulness rather that wallow in our past.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment