Sunday, February 2, 2014

Psalm 97:1, 6, 9 The Lord is king!  Let the earth rejoice; let the many coastlands be glad... The heavens proclaim his righteousness; and all peoples behold his glory...  For you, O Lord, are most high over all the earth; you are exalted far above all gods.”

Today is a party day across the nation... Superbowl Sunday.
I remember long ago when I would watch the games leading up to this big game and I remember how I felt when the championship game was finally being played.
I would get so wrapped up in the game, cheering for my team, even praying for my team.  My heart would be faster, the anxiety would build if my team was in a tight game, it was unreal.
What does this have to do with Psalm 97?
I wish we would all gather together in excitement and throw a party in honor of the Lord.  I wish we would rejoice and join in the heavens proclaiming his righteousness and behold his glory.  The media draws us in to studying and knowing the players on the team.  We give them accolades for their talents and gifts to the game.  I only pray we give more accolades to God and that we study him and his word more than football.
Enjoy the game, have a party and celebrate with your friends.  Dance in the streets and shoot fireworks if your team wins but remember to enjoy the Lord, have a party and celebrate him with your friends.  Dance in the streets and shoot fireworks because your team has already won.
Rejoice in the Lord, he is most high over all the earth and exalted far above all other gods.

Lord,
I lift the players in the game to your care, protect them from injury and allow the game to somehow draw people to you.  Keep us from letting this game or other things become gods to us, let us enjoy them as they should be.  Keep our heart true to you, our one true God and hear our voices as we rejoice in you today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment