Friday, February 28, 2014

Hosea 6:3 “Let us know, let us press on to know the Lord; his appearing is a sure as the dawn, he will come to us like the showers, like the spring rains that water the earth.”

Sometimes it is tempting to give up.
I hear the words “I can’t” almost daily and I have had more than one conversation with my kids about not giving up.
Just because something is hard or challenging does not mean we throw in the towel and quit, right?  If that were the case I never would have learned to ride a bike or drive a car.  I never would have learned how to ski or even read a book.
Reading this passage in Hosea could easily cause anyone to just give up.  God is angry and hurt at the unfaithfulness of Israel and Hosea is called to show Israel what that looks like and tell them about it as well.  Throughout the book of Hosea there are passages telling of God’s anger and there are passage telling of God’s mercy and love.  He never gives up on Israel; He keeps on loving them, correcting them, teaching and forgiving them. 
He does the same for us.
When I look at my days in review I see times of rebellion, times of blindness and times of humility and love.  I am no different than Israel in my spiritual journey.
God does not give up on us.  He teaches us through his steadfast love to continue striving forward, try again, start over and keep pressing on.  I press on to know the Lord, knowing he is sure and true like the spring rains that water the earth.

Lord,

When I come to you in humility and truth you are there.  You bring showers of love and mercy, healing and guidance.  Thank you for your unending mercy and love.  Thank you for teaching each of us how to press on and for inspiring our hearts to press on to know you more and more.  Help me honor and love you in truth today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment