Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Revelation 3:15-16 “I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot, I wish that you were either cold or hot.  So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to spit you out of my mouth”

I like to drink coffee and tea.
Both coffee and tea taste so good when they are piping hot or icy cold.  Tepid, lukewarm coffee is very hard to drink.  The bitterness is stronger and the taste is just not good.  The same is true with tea.  Both of these are meant to be tasted and enjoyed hot or cold.
This passage in Revelation is speaking about church that has fallen into complacency.  They are fine where they are and think they lack nothing.  They have their stores of money and food and are sitting back relaxing. 
The next verses warn them that they do not see that they are wretched and pitiable.  They have stopped searching spiritual growth and grown tepid.  Have we also grown complacent and become wretched and pitiable?
Routine is easy; we fall into it and barely have to think.  Get up, get ready for the day and go on auto pilot because our routine is the same.  When something changes our routine we are shaken out of our stupor and sometimes a fire is lit under us.  It is not the most pleasant experience but sometimes we need it!
Wake up!  Wiggle the ho-hums out of your soul and the cob webs from your spiritual mind.  Let the love of God stoke the fire in you so you are blazing hot for him again.

Lord,
I come asking forgiveness for my tepid behavior and my lukewarm heart.  Open my eyes to see my need for you is as strong as it ever was and will continue to be.  Draw me close to you and blow your breath on the small flame in my soul bringing it back to blazing so I am truly on fire for you.  Hallelujah and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment