Monday, February 10, 2014

Isaiah 49:6 “he says, ‘It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the survivors of Israel; I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.’”

Have you ever felt inundated with a message from God?
Last week I joined a new bible study on Jonah where the challenge was presented to our group: serve your community in a way that makes an impact.  Yesterday the sermon in church was about being the salt of the earth and this morning I turned to this passage in Isaiah.  Is there a theme here?
When I read this the first time through I thought this passage must be talking about Jesus.  It makes perfect sense in that context and he is the salvation of the whole earth.  When I read the commentary at the bottom it mentioned that this passage was likely written to the nation Israel and the person Israel.
Oh dear.  That puts this passage in a whole new context for me.  If Israel the nation can be the light to the world and if the person Israel can be a light to the nations, so can I.  Thus, another bell goes off in my heart that listens for the voice of God.
As I prepare my first book for publication it is easy for me to pat myself on the back and say “I am doing this” as I sit down and sip my warm cup of coffee.  Then conviction comes in and puts it clearly before me that we are not called to do it once and be done.  This is a continual process.
The light shines for eternity, the salt continues to flow and season the hearts of the world and we are called to continue to serve in these ways until his salvation reaches to the end of the earth.  I must get up, finish my coffee and get ready for the day.  I must find a way to be the light and the salt to each person I touch today and again tomorrow.  I want to be who God commissions us to be, will you join me?

Lord,
This task seems overwhelming when I think about it.  Help me see it through your eyes and know that I do not do anything alone; you are with me as are many others.  Give me courage so I do not shy away from whatever you lead me to but that I step forth in faith and trust in you.  Help us each be your salt and your light.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment