Friday, February 7, 2014

Mark 6:3 “’Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon, and are not his sisters here with us?’  And they took offense at him.”

I like to say there is no place like home and I still hold that in my heart. Jesus may have felt that too but in a different way.
He came back to Nazareth during his ministry to preach and heal the sick in his home town.  The people did not receive it well.
They could not move past what they already knew of him.  He was a carpenter’s son, raised from childhood in the trade of his father.  He had played with their kids, studied with them, grown up with them.
I wonder how this feels.  I have not experienced this personally but I can imagine to some degree how it might be for someone who has a different life path than they seemed to start on.  I think of Mother Teresa, for instance.  She was a child, grew up learning and playing with other kids and then her life changed and she became a huge force of love in the world.
Did her childhood playmates receive her the same way or listen to her wisdom with open ears?  Could they receive her message clearly or did their previous experiences with her cloud their sight?
Jesus moved on to different places with his disciples.  His message would be received and his ministry grew despite his home town scoffers.  I, for one, am glad he continued on in his ministry.  I am glad the home town doubts did not muffle his love and grace for all.  I am so glad he continued on for you and for me.

Lord,
Thank you for the life and ministry of Jesus.  Forgive us when we do not allow or embrace the growth and changes in our own lives and the lives of our loved ones.  We seek it but we do not believe it.  Let this story live in our hearts so we might receive all people through the love and grace that Jesus brings to us.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment