Saturday, February 1, 2014

Romans 2:21-22 “you, then, that teach others, will you not teach yourself?  While you preach against stealing, do you steal?  You that forbid adultery, do you commit adultery?  You that abhor idols, do you rob temples?”

It is quite an experience to teach my children.
As my daughter and I work our way through American history there is much I found I had forgotten or maybe never learned.  I realize as we study these things that she will likely forget some of it as she grows up and tucks more and more knowledge away in her mind.
When I teach Sunday school I wonder what the kids will remember through the week?
I read scripture and study the Word of God every day and some of what I teach my children is scripture as well.  The question Paul asks here is poignant.  Do I learn what I teach?
I write in my devotion about God’s love and his command to love each other but do I love as he loves?  I teach my children to honor God and honor each other but do I also honor God and others?
As we begin a new day I am compelled to search my doings and my heart to seek the truth to these questions.  I come to God asking Him to shed light on any idolatry, adultery and stealing that I have hidden in my heart so that those things can be forgiven and cleansed away from my soul.
I come seeking forgiveness and knowing that through Jesus, I am cleansed and made righteous once more in the sight of God.  I go forth striving to learn what I teach... Love God, love each other.

Lord,
Thank you for teaching me new things.  Thank you for reminding me of old things that I should remember.  Keep my mind and soul fresh so that I recall your teachings readily and easily.  Guide my teaching to be what you have taught me and as I teach others, open my mind to receive that teaching for myself anew.  Protect us from falling into sins that we know but that are easily disguised in this society.  Keep us true to your Word to your glory.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment