Monday, February 24, 2014

2 Timothy 3:14 “But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it,”

Some days I feel as dense as a brick.
I have gone to church and learned about God through his word and teachers of his word since I was a tot.  Why can’t I get this right, why isn't it easy yet?
Yesterday I heard someone lamenting the state of the world we live in and how we, as humans, have not stepped up to the call to care for the earth and each other like we should.  I have been in these same throes of frustration many times in the past.  Scripture reminds us that these frustrations will not cease and will increase as the end time draws closer.  It gets tiring.
We are encouraged in this portion of the letter to Timothy to keep on keeping on.  “Continue in what we have learned and firmly believed, knowing from whom you have learned it.”  Who have I learned my beliefs from?
I must proclaim I only truly learned through the Holy Spirit.  I am not a good student of human teaching, it is only when I allow the Spirit to guide my studies and open my heart that I have been able to truly learn and believe.  I have had wonderful mentors in my life and God has used them to teach me, encourage me, correct me and challenge me.  It is through God and his work with me that I can follow the words in this verse.  I will continue learning and following knowing from whom I learn and who I follow.

Lord,
Thank you for these encouraging words.  Scripture is filled with teachings, lessons, encouragement, and correction.  Studying these words will fill a lifetime.  Thank you for mentors to guide us on this path of discipleship.  Please protect us from any false teachings that may distract and keep us firmly in our faith, always true to you.  I ask this through Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment