Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Acts 3:19-20 “Repent therefore, and turn to God so that your sins may be wiped out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Messiah appointed for you, that is, Jesus.”

How do you picture refreshment?
Is it a cool breeze on a warm sunny day or an ice cold drink on a hot summer day?  Is it warmth seeping into your cold bones on a blustery winter day or the smell of fresh flowers or the ocean?
Our sins are burdens to our souls.  We carry them around being weighed down by them and the heaviness gets to us more and more each day.
Luke reminds us to repent and turn to God, to lay our burdens and sins down at his feet so he can wipe them away, release the heaviness from us and bring refreshment to our souls.  When I read these words I can hardly keep from following his advice.  My sins distract me from God’s Love and his Light and pull me toward darkness and indifference. I don’t want that!
I turn to the Lord this morning.  I open my heart and my hands to empty them of the sins I carry.  Once they have been wiped out I wait for the presence of the Lord to come and refresh my soul.  There is no better feeling in the world.
This is a daily practice for me until that day that the Messiah, who is appointed for us, comes again and we will be refreshed forever.
As you go through your day and have moments of refreshment, a meal or a break from work; remember these verses and seek the refreshment of the Lord in those moments as well.

Lord,
Thank you for the many ways we receive refreshment for our bodies.  Bring those moments of refreshment to us today, I pray.  When those blessings of refreshment come, help us remember to seek refreshment for our souls as well.  Search our hearts for any lurking sin we have forgotten or are unaware of.  Bring all those things to light so that we may repent and turn to you fully.  Open our hearts and souls to receive the blessing of your refreshing presence in our day and guide us to share that refreshing spirit with others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment