Sunday, February 23, 2014

Psalm 119:59-60 “When I think of your ways, I turn my feet to your decrees; I hurry and do not delay to keep your commandments.”

Me, me, me, I, I, I.
These words are spoken so much in this world, this country and this home.  We are, so often, all about ourselves.  When I read this passage in Psalms I could not get beyond these verses; they kept calling my attention back.
The other day my husband left early for work and didn't say goodbye when he walked out the door.  I jumped into wondering what I had done or not done to make him upset.  Why didn't he say goodbye to me?  Once I got over my self-pity party, I realize he was focused on all he had to get done and not on slighting me.  I picked up the phone and left him a message of kindness to start his day when he got to work.
As soon as I turned my thoughts away from myself I was able to see God’s ways again.  Love God, love your neighbor.  There is nothing in God’s ways that teaches us to love ourselves; to put our needs first and then think of others.  I am ashamed at how often I am thinking of myself before I think of others.
I have a task I need to do: I need to make a schedule for the day.  My days are getting away from me and I am not getting everything done I would like to or need to.  In light of these verses when I make my schedule I will write it from the view of loving God and loving others.  Then I pray I will turn my feet to God’s decrees.  I hope I will hurry and not delay to keep God’s commandments.

Lord,
I say I do all things for you, help me keep my word.  I do love you but I do not show that I love you when I am thinking of myself.  I say I love others, but I do not show my love for others when I am thinking of myself.  Focus my thinking onto your ways and your decrees so I will not delay in turning and following you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment