Thursday, April 3, 2014

Revelation 3:20 “Listen!  I am standing at the door, knocking, if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me.”

I remember at the beginning of this year, I resolved to have more people over.  I want this year to be a year of friends and fellowship; a time of building bridges and reconciliations.  It is now April and I have had exactly one family over for dinner.
What would my reaction be if Jesus stood on my front door step when I opened the door?  I wonder...
I haven’t dusted recently and there are toys strewn around almost all of the time.  I need to mop the kitchen floor and I really need to go grocery shopping.  I also know that when Jesus comes, he is not looking at the condition of my house or the stock in my pantry.  He comes to dine with me spiritually.  He searches the condition of my heart and soul.  The story of Martha and Mary comes to mind here and I fear I would be inclined to busy myself with the house and cooking rather than the matters of the heart.
I want to open the door and invite Jesus in, not caring that there is dust and toys, not caring that I have a meager meal to offer as we dine.  I want to sit with him and take time for the matters of the heart.  Just a simple cup of tea and a beautiful conversation; this is what my heart needs and truly desires.  Come, Lord Jesus.

Lord,
I think the condition of my home is a peek into the condition of my heart.  I have not deep cleaned and I have become less than tidy.  I do not want to busy myself with the trivial but I do need to be diligent in the daily cleaning.  As I clean my house today, help me see each task in light of my heart.  Clear away the dust and debris from my soul Lord.  I want to sparkle in your light for the whole world to see.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment