Wednesday, April 9, 2014



I have felt the poison darts from untamed tongues and I am certain my untamed tongue has shot a few poisonous darts as well.
When I read this passage I pictured a lion tamer in the circus.  They are in the ring with a whip and a chair, doing what they can to keep the lion in check.  They show the audience the control they have over the beast and by show time the whip is more like a reminder to the lion that they need to do what they have been trained to do.
If only our tongues could be trained and tamed so easily.  I am sure taming a lion is not easy but I am also sure taming the tongue is harder.  How often do we wish we could take a word or two back?
We cannot tame our own tongues and we are not able to withhold the deadly poison that drips from our tongues with our own strength.  It is only the guidance and taming of the Holy Spirit that can keep our tongues in check.  The Spirit is the lion tamer and as he works with us diligently, over time we learn to do what we have been trained to do.
Listen for the voice of our guide, our trainer, the Holy Spirit.  Allow him to tame your tongue.

Lord,

Heal the wounds caused by the deadly poison from my mouth; my tongue.  Heal any wounds I have from other poisonous tongues.  Let domestic animals remind me that you, through your Spirit, are able to tame my tongue.  Open my ears and my heart to hear and obey the teaching and guidance that you provide.  May the words of my mouth and the mediations of my heart glorify you today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment