Saturday, March 30, 2013


Matthew 27:59-61 “So Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen cloth and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn in the rock.  He then rolled a great stone to the door of the tomb and went away.  Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were there, sitting opposite the tomb.”

It was coming up on the Sabbath, the day of rest in the Jewish faith.  I don’t know for sure but I suspect the Mary’s were not too close to the tomb and the body fearing becoming unclean; as women they needed to be clean to perform the Sabbath rites.  Here we are on what I know as black Saturday.  As the disciples sat “in rest” I am sure their minds and hearts were reeling.  The world moved on and they mourned their friend and the loss of their dreams.  I remember when my Mom passed away; it seemed so wrong that there was this big hole in the world where my Mom used to be and the rest of the world didn’t even blink an eye.  How much more did the disciples of Christ feel this?  Did they remember his words in the midst of their despair?  The priests and Pharisees did and tried to do what they could to prevent more “deception.”  As I sit in silence, I cannot fathom the darkness that loomed on that day.  I try for a moment but I do not linger there because I know tomorrow is a day of celebration beyond our wildest dreams...

Lord,
You shake our world up and I thank you.  We get into our comfortable ruts and so easily close our eyes and hearts to your words.  Remind us on this day of rest that we can rest assured.  Even in this present darkness a new dawn is coming.  Blessed be your name, glory to you my God and Savior!  Amen.
To my dear friends and family I take a moment here to wish you a very Happy Easter!  I am off to a land with no internet access ( My mother in law's home).  Enjoy the celebration of new life tomorrow and know that I will write again next Tuesday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment