Monday, March 25, 2013


John 2:14 “In the temple he found people selling cattle, sheep, and doves, and the money changers seated at their tables.”

My purse seems to be a place to collect stuff.  It is designed to carry things that I need but along with my wallet, keys and a couple of other necessities there are  crumbs from a cookie that my kids brought home from church, receipts from grocery shopping that I haven’t filed yet, an old lotion bottle... the list goes on.  Just as my purse has a specific purpose so does the temple in Jerusalem and the temples of our bodies and souls.  Jesus reminds the people that this temple is to be a house of prayer as he cleared out the sellers, animals and money changers that were defiling the temple.  Later in this passage when the Jews questioned his right to do this he refers to his body as a temple.  If we are a temple for God then what needs to be cleared out to bring our temple back to it intended purpose?  What have we let seep in or creep in because it seemed easier or convenient or enticing but then it took root and grew out of proportion?  As we step one day closer to the remembrance of our salvation let us ask Jesus to clear out the grime and clutter that defile our temples.

Lord,
It brings me comfort to picture you coming in and clearing out all that defiles.  It is a daily process and I am so grateful that I can call on you and you will come.  Cleanse me and renew me to be a true house of prayer and worship for your glory.  Thank you Jesus!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment