Friday, March 29, 2013


Luke 23:44-45 “It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon, while the sun’s light failed; and the curtain of the temple was torn in two.”

I remember when my oldest daughter was small and she asked me why today was called Good Friday if Jesus died on that day.  He was beaten, tortured and nailed to a cross.  He was mocked and spat upon and stripped down.  The agony he endured is something I cannot begin to imagine and hope to never even come close to experiencing.  He went through all this for you and for me.  The curtain in the temple was torn in two and now there is no longer a barrier between the Holy of Holies and his people.  His blood and death provide us the purest sacrifice we could have for cleansing and forgiveness.  I remember being so sad that Jesus had to die and there is a part of me that is still so very sad.  God knew.  Jesus knew and they had a plan.  The sadness in my heart is lightened because I know he overcame death and we will celebrate his victory in two more days.  I can only walk into this day with a humble heart filled with thankfulness.  He died so we could live.

Lord,
We all play a part in your death when we turn away, disobey and disregard your teachings.  Thank you for your life giving forgiveness and love.  Thank you for overcoming death for me and for everyone.  Help me share the life you gave with others in honor of you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment