Wednesday, March 6, 2013


Matthew 13:29-30 “He said, ‘Come.’  So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came toward Jesus.  But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and began to sink, he cried out, ‘Lord, save me!’”

The saying “Keep your eye on the prize” that is running through my head today.  This story came to me last night as I was doing some prep work for homeschooling today.  When I read this passage in Matthew I could not help but come back to these verses.  Peter calls to Jesus and then on Jesus command he climbs out of the boat and starts walking toward his Lord.  I imagine his eyes intently focused on Jesus and for a moment all trust and faith are in Him.  Then, the wind and the storm around him distract him and he loses his step.  He looks around and remembers the waves and the wind that had tossed him around all night and he begins to sink into the water.  The good news is that he didn’t lose all faith.  He called out “Lord, save me!”  Jesus was right there and rescued him.  How often does this happen to each of us?  We struggle to keep the distractions at bay and to keep our eyes focused on walking toward God.  He is there to rescue us whenever we call out to him.  We simply need to turn our focus toward him again and he will take our hand.  During this season of reflection and repentance, I am reminded that to repent means to turn a new direction.  Do not turn back, turn toward the Lord.

Lord,
Thank you for always being there ready to grasp our hand when we call out to you.  Help us keep our focus on you, walking toward you in faith, trusting in you.  When we are distracted, help us turn toward you again so we continue to walk a little closer to you each day.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment