Thursday, March 28, 2013


John 13:5 “Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him.”

Today is a day we remember the Last Supper.  Jesus and his disciples joined the Jewish world in remembering Passover.  This passage in John says that during the meal Jesus did this.  I am touched by the intimacy between Jesus and these men.  They spent every day, more or less together and were probably more like brothers than anything else.  As I read this story I tried to picture my dear friends in church and I gathered together to wash each other’s feet.  Our society does not embrace such intimacy and the image is awkward. We are not good at being opened up and receiving such care from anyone but our own family and maybe not even them.  Jesus knew as he knelt in care and service to his disciples that this would be one of his last acts of love in this lifetime.  He knew the heart of Judas had been turned and that his time was short and this act was how he chose to spend some of those last moments.  He tells the disciples and he tells us in verse 15 “For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you.”

Lord,
As the days creep on I know what tomorrow brings in my heart.  Help me keep this image of you washing my feet close to my heart today so that I might keep a servants heart and hand toward those I meet today.  As you lead, let me follow.  I ask this only for the glory of your kingdom now and forever.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment