Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Matthew 18:12 “What do you think?  If a shepherd has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray?”

There is a wonderful woman in my bible study group that says we are all dumb sheep.  The first few times I heard her say that I didn't know quite what to think.  As I meditated on this passage I could see how I really am a dumb sheep, at least sometimes.  Good little sheep stay with the shepherd and do not stray away.  The shepherd has to leave the flock to go and rescue the strays and the good little sheep stay in their flock waiting for the lost one to join them again.  Isaiah tells us we are all like sheep, we have all strayed away.  Even as I shake my head at my lack of insight into the Lord, I realize he lovingly comes to pull me back in every time I am led astray.  I do not want to get lost; it just seems to happen so easily... He rejoices over us when we are returned to his fold and he does not want even one of us lost.  If you are feeling lost, call out to your shepherd, he will come and rescue you.  If you are feeling snug and safe in the fold, rejoice and pray for others who have been led astray.  Let us keep praying for one another until the Shepherd comes.

Lord,
Why are we led astray so easily?  Our human nature gets the best of us and the next thing we know we are lost.  Thank you for faithfully coming to rescue us and bring us back to you.  Thank you for rejoicing when we return.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment