Thursday, August 15, 2013

Acts 6:3 “Therefore, friends, select from among yourselves seven men of good standing, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint to this task”

There are so many “menial” tasks to be done.  Cooking and cleaning, dusting and laundry and the lists continue.  When I ask my little boy to do something, he says “why do I have to do everything?!?”  Maybe this is how the disciples felt in this passage of Acts.  They were trying to teach and preach but they were too busy tending to the poor and needy.  As I watch the volunteers in my church maintaining the office duties I can see how it would be very easy to get bogged down.  They answer the phone, put the weekly bulletin together, work on the newsletter, assist with the food bank and there are interruptions all the time from people coming in for various meeting or other things.  If the pastor had to do all of that, how in the world would they find time to pray and teach?  Today I lift a prayer for those who serve in “menial” tasks.

Lord,

I lift these many servants up to you this morning.  I pray the Spirit will uplift them in their service and they will find joy in their tasks, whatever they are.  I pray for leaders of the church – I pray that they find joy and thankfulness for these servants that allow them time to pray and teach. I pray the Spirit will fill all of these servants with wisdom to serve as you guide them to.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment