Friday, August 30, 2013

Mark 7:37 “They were astounded beyond measure, saying, ‘He has done everything well; he even makes the deaf to hear and the mute to speak.’”

My children suffer from something I call selective hearing.  It is something I have seen in other children as well; quite the phenomenon.  I can be speaking to my kids with them looking at me and even answering me but somehow they did not hear what I said.  How is this possible?  I know as I sit here and write I am pointing to my children with one finger and three more are pointing right back at me.  How often does God speak to me, I respond and yet it is clear that I did not hear or chose not to listen? I might as well be deaf and mute!  There are times Jesus is quoted as saying “let those with ears hear”.  I want to be one with ears to hear.   I do not want to miss what Jesus is saying to me or to us as a people.  Just as what I say to my kids is usually of some importance, what Jesus is saying to us is of vital importance.  He is teaching us how to live in the kingdom of God; are we hearing?  As a new day begins, I pray for ears that hear and a tongue that speaks for he has done all things well!

Lord,
Thank you for your healing touch.  Forgive our deaf ears and mute tongue.  You speak and we are not sure we hear or we choose not to hear.  Open our ears to hear your message clearly and without doubt.  Open our tongues to share and speak your message to others as well.  Help us speak and praise you for all you have done so well.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment