Wednesday, August 21, 2013

John 8:34, 36 “Jesus answered them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin... So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.’”

If I were to stop reading this passage at verse 34 I would walk away without hope.  Who of us is without sin?  Is there a day that goes by where sin does not enter our hearts?  I have written about the shackles of sin in the past and I still see sin like that.  Each sin we commit through action or inaction places a little shackle around our hearts.  If we continue to live in sin, the shackles can completely imprison our hearts and we may not even see it.  I get frustrated with myself when I have to come to the Lord confessing the same sins over and over.  The sins may look different on the outside but they are still sins of selfishness, idolatry, pride...  When I turn my eyes from the Lord and I turn my eyes on myself or something else I no longer follow the truth.  Jesus gives us hope with his claim in verse 36.  “If the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.”  Claim that freedom today.  Our hope is in the Lord Jesus, He has, indeed, set us free!

Lord,
I lift up the hearts of every person reading this simple devotion today.  Open our eyes to see where we have fallen short but do not allow us to despair.  Lift our voices to claim you and the freedom in forgiveness you have given to each of us.  Pour your healing love into us, filling us with grace and peace.  Help us go out in your Spirit; in your freedom.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment