Tuesday, August 6, 2013

John 3:1 “Now there was a Pharisee named Nicodemus, a leader of the Jews.”

Nicodemus had a quandary.  As a Pharisee there were expectations he had placed upon him, rules he was expected to follow and lead others to follow as well.  The rules had been written long ago and he was expected to help keep the status quo.  Jesus was stirring things up.  He was causing unrest in the people and unrest in Nicodemus.  Something was different about this man, Jesus.  Nicodemus meets with Jesus under cover of night.  I believe he did not want to be seen by anyone, he did not want to have to explain his actions.  He knew Jesus came from God, he proclaimed it that very night.  From then on Nicodemus is torn between what he believed and what he led others to believe.  He lived out his expectations as a Pharisee but two more times he is mentioned in the book of John stepping out of his role into faith in Jesus.  I am too much like Nicodemus.  I come to Jesus under cover of night.  During the day I live as people expect me to.  No one knows the struggle I hold in my heart between doing what is expected and following Jesus with abandon.  He calls to us, “Come.  Follow me.”

Lord,
Your disciples followed you at all cost.  I live my comfortable life and follow you in a comfortable way.  When you call me out of my safe boundaries I balk.  Give me the courage to step out in faith; out of the darkness and into the light.  Lift my voice to shout from mountain tops, I am yours!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment