Thursday, August 8, 2013

John 6:30-31 “Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat,’  Then Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven.’”

I can already hear the voice of my little boy when he wakes up.  One of the first things he says is “Let’s eat breakfast.”  As it is in most households, our morning rituals include something to fill our tummies.  The bread we eat comes from the store and like the bread of bible times, it fills us up for a while and then we are hungry again.  We continue to feed out bodies as they continue to burn the food for fuel.  The true bread from heaven never wastes away; it does not get used up and need to be replenished.  Once we eat the true bread He stays with us, continuing to feed us.  Come receive the bread of life so that we are no longer hungry in our souls.  Come again not because we must, but because we can.  As we nourish our bodies again, let us renew the nourishment of our souls.

Lord,

You are the bread of heaven.  You are the source of life.  I come to your table seeking refreshment knowing I have already received true bread.  I seek to grow in you more and more each day.  Renew your Spirit within me.  Help me share your Spirit with others so they, too, may receive true bread.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment