Wednesday, July 16, 2014


When I walked into the room where I have my quiet time, this is the verse that came into my mind.
I disregarded it, thinking to myself, “Everyone knows that verse.”  As I read different passages of scripture the theme was constant.  We cannot achieve, we cannot find peace, and we cannot gain anything unless we do it through Christ.
Adam and Eve sought knowledge against the instructions of God but they did not seek knowledge through God so it was incomplete and marred.  In Paul’s letter to the Colossians he warns them to not be taken captive through empty deceit, human tradition or elemental spirits.  They will only find fullness in Christ, head of every ruler and authority.
In Hebrews we are reminded to run the race with perseverance, looking to Christ Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith.  Do you see a common thread in these passages?
I am guilty of seeking fullness in human tradition.  I am guilty of looking away and seeking knowledge in different ways than God has instructed me to.  I still run weary and weak, struggling to persevere in this race.  It is only when I come to the mercy seat, when I come to the feet of Christ that I am renewed, replenished and redeemed.
I cannot do anything without him; I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Lord,

Forgive my wandering heart.  I come to you each morning seeking forgiveness and grace.  You are faithful to me; to us all.  Guide me in your ways, teach me truth and love.  As I live in you, let me see your strength in me.  I praise your Holy name forever and ever.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment