Friday, July 4, 2014


Today we celebrate Independence Day – the day we remember the freedom we have that was fought for long ago and in some ways is still fought for today.
Our founding fathers wanted independence from the rule of England.  The pilgrims wanted to worship God the way they felt they should, not the way the church in England was deeming they should.  They fought for this freedom, some to the death.
In Deuteronomy 13 Moses tells the Israelites “The Lord your God you shall follow, him alone you shall fear, his commandments you shall keep, his voice you shall obey, him you shall serve, and to him you shall hold fast.”  This passage warns against worshiping other gods, listening to the voices of false prophets.  Whose voice do we hear today?
I cannot imagine living in a country without freedom but I wonder how free our country really is.  We have a lot of freedom to live as we want to but that can easily lead to slavery of a different kind.  I turn to the words of Jesus, “continue in my word... know the truth, and the truth will make you free.
As I celebrate our nation’s freedom, I seek truth for my soul.  Even more than my physical freedom I celebrate spiritual freedom through Christ!

Lord,

We put on our blinders, we close our eyes and our ears and we believe we are free.  I pray for this nation, its leaders and its people.  Remove the covers of deceit, the blinders of lies and help us all move into truth through you.  Draw us all into your arms of love and protection; make us truly one nation, under God, with liberty and justice for all.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment