Wednesday, April 3, 2013


John 15:5 “I am the vine, you are the branches.  Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing.”

Have you ever tried to make coffee without plugging in the coffeemaker and turning it on or tried to cook a pot of soup without turning on the stove?  Let me tell you from experience, that these things do not work without their power source.  When I read this passage this verse jumped out at me.  I thought about electricity.  Can we accomplish daily tasks without electricity?  Yes, but things are so much more efficient with the power of electricity to help them.  I liked this analogy for a bit but then I came back to the one Jesus used to begin with.  As much as electricity is necessary for certain tasks and certain appliances, God is more than that.  We need more than to be plugged in with God, we need to be intertwined; we need to be one with Him.  The branch is not a separate entity plugged into the vine; they are a part of each other, one in each other.  Do more than plug in, allow yourself to grow in God.  Become a part of Him and allow Him to be in you.  This is how we will be fruitful people.

Lord,
As we go into this day, open our eyes to see little reminders of you being in us.  Whether it is a coffeemaker or a tree, a bush or a computer, remind us that we are useless without you and that, with you, we can bear much fruit for your kingdom.  Thank you for being our life source.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment