Saturday, April 13, 2013


2 Chronicles 5:13 “It was the duty of the trumpeters and singers to make themselves heard in unison in praise and thanksgiving to the Lord...”

This verse comes from the story of bringing the Ark of the Covenant into the new temple.  When I read these stories it strikes me as odd that there is so much ritual in what they do.  I do not think the church I attend has very much ritual but someone from the outside may see that differently.  We have a specific order to our service.  We stand when we sing and for certain prayers.  We have specific responses to the worship leader based on what they say and the list goes on.  I used to think ritual was just pomp and circumstance and if not treated properly it could be.  Rituals serve to bring us into focus.  The rituals here serve to remind everyone that the Holy of Holies was coming to be among them.  The rituals we observe in church serve to call us into the presence of that same God.  We can do it by rote or we can do it with intent.  As I go into this day of bell ringing and music making, I go with the intention of praising and thanking God with music.  I encourage you to go into your day with intent.

Lord,

Help us be present in our lives today.  It is easy to slide through the day without thinking or feeling anything.  Guide our intentions so that we serve and honor you in whatever we do.  Thank you for the rituals that draw us to you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment