Saturday, February 9, 2013


Ephesians 2:8-9 “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God – not the result of works, so that no one may boast.”

Just yesterday I was writing about motive.  Why do we do what we do?  These verses move to the same rhythm.  When we are working in service to the Lord, we can still have impure motive.  There is a fine line between serving in thanksgiving and serving for approval.  I know there is no way I can ever work hard enough or well enough to earn God’s love or grace.  I have seen myself fall and fail too many times to think that I could succeed in pleasing God with my work.  It feels different when I am doing His work; seeking to serve the Lord in thanksgiving for the grace He has given to me.  I am not seeking approval or redemption through my hands, I am simply giving my work and my life in thanksgiving and praise to God who already gave all to me.  I have heard many people say that when they get to heaven they want to hear God say “well done good and faithful servant.”  I hope to hear that too but even more I long to hear the voice of God and see His face as He says to me “Welcome home my beloved child, welcome home!”

Lord,
Thank you for all you give, fill our hearts so we can sing in joy and thanksgiving.  Help us live in your grace each day and compel us to share your grace with others so that this world can live in Love.  Let your light shine through us as a beacon so all the world can find the way home to you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment