Sunday, February 3, 2013


Amos 7:14-15 “Then Amos answered Amaziah, ‘I am no prophet, nor a prophet’s son; but I am a herdsman, and a dresser of sycamore trees, and the Lord took me from following the flock, and the Lord said to me, ‘Go, prophesy to my people Israel.’”

I am quietly thanking the Lord this morning that He has never called me to be a prophet and I hope and pray that He will not.  God uses unlikely characters to bring his message to the people.  He calls Samuel as a small boy, raises a small shepherd boy to destroy and giant and become King.  He makes Ruth a queen and brings salvation to the world through a small town carpenter and his betrothed.  The list of unlikely continues through his disciples and apostles and even on to today.  I still wonder at the call I follow to send his word to others, why me?  He uses the most unlikely of characters.  Amos was a faithful servant of the Lord as well.  He hears the word of the Lord as he is sitting watching his flocks of sheep and he obeys.  Are we listening to hear the words of God to us?  Will we hear and obey?

Lord,
We are, by nature, a willful people.  So often we go through our days thinking we have it all under control and all is going according to plan.  We forget to seek your plan and we forget whose plan is true.  Encourage us to lift our prayers to you, O God.  Open our hearts and our ears to hear and follow your word for us.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment