Saturday, August 18, 2012


Mark 8:12 “And he sighed deeply in his spirit and said, ‘Why does this generation ask for a sign?  Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to this generation.’”

This is Jesus’ response to the Pharisees when they ask him for a sign from heaven to prove himself to them.  When I read this passage I thought to myself, “Really?”  He had turned water to wine, fed five thousand on 2 fish and 5 loaves of bread, fed 4 thousand on 7 loaves of bread and healed numerous people.  He had cast out demons, preached and turned the hearts of many.  He had answered all their inquisitions with unquestionable wisdom, and yet they wanted a sign.  Still, don’t we ask for signs from him today?  In the midst of the chaos of the world, there is healing, there is uncounted love and mercy, there is goodness overriding evil every day.  In my personal life I have been transformed from living as a Sunday Christian to a fledgling disciple, striving daily to do the will of God in my life.  I have gone from living with blinders on to searching and seeing God in every day moments.  There are signs of God’s presence and signs of Jesus as the Messiah, a savior to the world, all around us.  I am certain I miss signs that are clearly in front of my face, just as the disciples that had Jesus in their presence did.  If we choose not to see the signs that are given, we will not be given more signs.  We simply need to open our eyes and our hearts to see more clearly.  Setting all sarcasm aside, I ask, do you see the signs? 

Lord,
I come to you in thanksgiving for the changes and signs I see so clearly confirming your presence in this world.  Open our eyes and hearts even more to seeing your signs.  Remove our blinders so that we can truly see you as you are.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment