Friday, August 17, 2012


1 Peter 1:14-16 “Like obedient children, do not be conformed to the desires that you formerly had in ignorance.  Instead, as he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in all your conduct; for it is written, ‘You shall be holy, for I am holy.’”

Yesterday I was watching my kids play and realized that my perfectionism has begun to rub off on them.  It has been handed down from generation to generation and I suspect I will not be able to curtail it in my kids.  These verses can easily lead me to believe that I am called to be perfect.  I see words like obedient and holy and it is so easy for me to interpret those as perfection.  God knows we are not perfect.  He created each of us and knows our purpose.  He knows our strengths and weaknesses.  Throughout the bible there are stories of God using humans in all their failures, to glorify and further the work of his kingdom.  Some days I am tempted to just quit trying.  I know I will never succeed so what is the point?  These verses reiterate the point to me.  As an obedient child, when I sin, confess and repent.  Live in love and holiness through Jesus and his redeeming blood.  Stand firm in that forgiveness and grace and take each day as a new day.  I will use the gifts I have been given by God to glorify him and further his kingdom in whatever way he would have it.  I have victory over my disobedience through Jesus as do you and I strive for holiness each new day.  Live in victory!

Lord,
Your strength fills me up.  There are days I feel so weak and helpless, I feel like a failure.  Thank you for the reminder that we all fall short because we are human.  It is through Jesus, we are able to stand and try again.  Your strength renews my resolve each new day.  Help me be obedient and holy for your glory.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment