Tuesday, August 21, 2012


John 4:34 “Jesus said to them, ‘My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to complete his work.’”

I am beginning to teach my 6 year old more about nutrition as part of our home schooling.  She has such a sweet tooth by nature; I am hoping that as she learns the balance of eating some of each food group, her sweet tooth will diminish some.  When we eat healthy foods, our bodies feel better and work better.  I know at times I eat too much fast food and not enough fruits and vegetables and I suffer for it.  I don’t have the energy I need and my whole body feels sluggish and weighed down.  I have not convinced myself to always eat right but I am working on it.  The passage from John that this verse comes from talks about the disciples trying to get Jesus to eat something.  It had been a busy day and they thought it would be best for him to get some nourishment.  Jesus knows true nourishment; food for the soul comes from God.  Our bodies need sustaining and who better to guide that than our Creator.  I know on the days I am doing his bidding, I am satisfied in a way that cannot be matched.  As we eat our meals today, let’s be mindful of the true nourishment we receive from God.  His word and Spirit give us what we need and we are called to act in thanksgiving for what he gives us.

Lord,
You tell us man cannot live by bread alone and I have experienced that many times during my life.  As I nourish my body today, help me be mindful to nourish my soul through you as well.  Guide me to share the food you give me with those who suffer true hunger.  Use me as you will, this is my deepest desire and satisfaction.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment